We envision our future as one where the oceans and coastlines of British Columbia are protected and safeguarded under First Nations leadership. Through the Marine and Coastal Management program, FNFC is working to support the development of broader collaborative processes for South Coast First Nations and federal government agencies with responsibilities related to oceans protection in the south coast region of BC.
FNFC supports First Nations to:
- develop proactive Indigenous-led approaches to marine conservation, ecosystem-based management, governance structures, and policy and program design
- lead the implementation of reconciliation commitments in marine management processes through DRIPA and UNDRIP
- root Indigenous Knowledge, values, and traditional laws into decision-making processes
- build collaborative relationships, discuss the challenges that impact their Nations and Territories, and work together toward shared objectives
- create systems for community-based marine research and data collection, governance, and protection of ocean habitats
- build capacity in marine and coastal conservation, protection, management, and policy
Resources and publications
Sorry, we couldn't find any posts. Please try a different search.
OPP and Marine Management
Astrid Niemann-Zajac, Senior Manager Partnerships & Intergovernmental Relations
Marine Spatial Planning/Emergency Preparedness & Response/Cumulative Effects of Marine Shipping
Taylor Mason, Oceans Protection Plan Manager